Scope 3 Greenhouse Gas Training Course
The Office of Health, Safety & Security (HSS) has developed a new on-line environmental sustainability training course to help the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and contractor personnel across the DOE complex understand and comply with new Federal environmental regulatory programs.
The Scope 3 Indirect Greenhouse Gas Emissions: A Guide for Meeting DOE's FY 2020 Targets on-line training serves as a guide for assisting DOE sites in reducing Scope 3 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, to attain a 13 percent reduction in Scope 3 emissions by fiscal year 2020.
Who Should Take This Voluntary Training
This training covers multiple aspects of Scope 3 GHG emissions in a series of modules. Each module targets specific types of staff. The training includes an overview module, which is broadly appropriate for managers and employees looking for an easy guide to understanding Scope 3 GHG reduction measures within DOE, as well as detailed modules that are more appropriate for those responsible for or affected by the planning in specific areas-such as employee commuting or business travel-for meeting the FY 2020 reduction targets. The training includes the following modules:
- Training overview: The overview module provides a general definition of Scope 3 indirect GHG emissions and explains the drivers that direct DOE's reduction goals for Scope 3. It covers general terminology, concepts, and drivers for this goal, and also provides tools needed to implement an effective program to achieve that reduction goal. It defines a four-step management process as an informal methodology for achieving that goal with specific examples in the various Scope 3 emissions categories.
- Reduction Area Modules: Three modules examine specific emissions reduction areas in-depth and suggest ways for making reductions. Module 1 covers commuting, Module 2 covers business air travel, and Module 3 covers other indirect emissions activities, including transmission and distribution losses, business ground travel, contracted wastewater treatment, and contracted solid waste disposal.
- Reporting: This module covers the DOE processes for reporting interim or annual progress for all Scope 3 emissions categories in detail. The module also encourages sharing success stories and lessons learned across the DOE complex.
The training is available through two learning management systems (LMS). Both offer the same training course, and users may choose to utilize the system they prefer:
- National Training & Education Resource (NTER) at https://nwtp.nterlearning.org/:
You will find it in "All Courses" under the Scope 3 Indirect Greenhouse Gas Emissions. You can add this training to your personal desktop and track your learning progress.
- To access training on NTER, you will need to set up an account.
- You will receive an email confirmation to set up a password.
- Once you have created an account, you can log into the NTER LMS and search for the Scope 3 training.
- National Training Center (NTC) at https://lms.ntc.doe.gov/u/default.aspx: To access training on NTC, you will need to set up an account. The direct link to the "new accounts" page for NTC is https://eaccess.ntc.doe.gov/.
After your account has been created, you can launch the NTC LMS page and then search for the Scope 3 training by title and enroll or go directly to the NTC course catalog under the "HSS-Health, Safety, and Security" folder. Once you have chosen the "Scope 3 Indirect Greenhouse Gas Emissions Training" you may select the overview and modules 1, 2, 3, or 4.
- You will first receive an email confirmation to set up a password.
- Shortly after a second confirmation email will be sent to you to allow access to the system with a link to the NTC LMS: https://lms.ntc.doe.gov/u/default.aspx
- Directly via the HS-21 website. This does not provide any kind of credit but is the easiest way of accessing the training.
This page was last updated on
March 13, 2013