Welcome to the Office of Nuclear Safety (HS-30)
The Office of Nuclear Safety establishes nuclear safety requirements and expectations for the Department to ensure protection of workers, the public, and the environment from the hazards associated with nuclear operations. It also establishes general facility safety requirements in the areas of fire protection, natural phenomena hazards, and quality assurance (QA) to ensure that products and services meet or exceed the Department's objectives in each of these areas. The Office provides assistance to field elements in implementation of requirements and resolving nuclear safety, facility safety, and quality assurance issues. The Office works proactively with Headquarters and Field Offices to foster continuous improvement and nuclear safety excellence.
- Establishes and maintains nuclear safety policy, requirements related to hazard and accident analysis, facility design and operation, training, and readiness of new or modified facilities.
- Establishes and maintains QA policy, requirements and guidance for the Department (for both nuclear and non-nuclear related activities) and serves as DOE's corporate resource to ensure that products and services meet or exceed the Department's quality objectives.
- Establishes and maintains facility safety policy, requirements and guidance for fire protection and natural phenomena hazards for both nuclear and non-nuclear activities.
- Provides assistance to Departmental elements and contractors in implementing DOE nuclear safety, facility safety, and QA requirements and resolving nuclear safety, facility safety, and QA requirements issues.
- Maintains effective liaison with DOE line managers, other offices within HSS, and with external organizations to assist in identifying and resolving site-specific and crosscutting issues and concerns related to nuclear safety, facility safety, and QA.
- Maintains effective liaison with regulatory agencies and interagency and international committees and technical standards organizations regarding nuclear safety, facility safety, and QA matters.
- Leads the Department's nuclear safety research and development activities.
- When directed, provides recommendations to the Chief Health, Safety and Security Officer regarding concurrence in the final decision to startup or restart a nuclear facility.
- Serves as the Standards Executive for the Department of Energy and manages the Department's Technical Standards Program.
James B. O'Brien, Director
Joe Olencz, Deputy Director
This page was last updated on
May 02, 2013