Headquarters Security Officer (HSO)
Headquarters Security Officer Program, 301-903-1163
Headquarters Facilities Master Security Plan
The Head of each Headquarters Element is responsible for the security posture in their organization.
These responsibilities can be designated by the Head of Element to their Headquarters Security
Officers, Alternate HSOs and/or HSO Representative. HSO Representatives are contractor
employees who have been designated by their Head of Element to perform limited HSO
responsibilities. HSOs serve as the link between their Element and the Office of Headquarters
Security Operations providing a conduit for timely dissemination of security information throughout
their respective organization.
The Office of Headquarters Security Operations is responsible for developing the Headquarters
Facilities Master Security Plan (HQFMSP). The HQFMSP is the implementation guide for security
policy at DOE Headquarters. The HQFMSP is provided to the HSOs for use by all Headquarters
Federal and contractor employees. The day-to-day implementation of the HQFMSP is accomplished
by the Office of Headquarters Security Operations by providing advice and assistance to Heads of
Headquarters Elements, HSOs and other Federal and contractor employees. While the HSO may not
require routine access to specific classified subject matter details, access authorization at the ďLĒ or
"Q" level, as appropriate, is required in order to adequately perform assigned responsibilities. These
responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develops and maintains the organizationís appendix to the HQFMSP which includes lists of the
organizationís security officials, both Federal and contractor staff, security credentials, standard
security badges and special badges, classifiers and declassifiers, contract support companies, and
Contracting Officerís Representatives.
- Ensures the formal appointment by the Head of the Element of the organizationís security
officials to include: Alternate HSO and/or HSO Representative, as applicable; Classified
Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO) and Alternate; Operations Security (OPSEC)
Working Group Member; classification representative(s); Technical Surveillance
Countermeasures Officer (TSCMO) (if required); Control Station Personnel; and Security
Awareness Point of Contact. NOTE: The HSO may be appointed to one or more of these
- Inventories and controls security facilities and equipment (e.g., location and identification of all
Limited/Exclusion Areas, vaults, containers, copiers, computers, TeleVideo systems, STU-IIIs/
STEs, facsimiles, and shredders). Incorporates and updates this data on the organizationís
appendices to the HQFMSP.
- Ensures the organizationís compliance with all security directives and the HQFMSP.
- Ensures all designated security personnel receive appropriate security-related training.
- Prepares requests for deviations to security directives and the HQFMSP and obtains the approval
of the Head of the Element prior to submission to Office of Headquarters Security Operations.
- Implements security related procedures to include:
- Oversees the control and management of the Elementís Limited or Exclusion Area(s).
- Reviews all requests for access authorizations and reinvestigation packages for accuracy and completeness prior to submission to Office of Personnel Security Operations.
- For contractor access authorizations, ensures appropriate registration of the contractual arrangement in the Safeguards and Security Information Management System (SSIMS) prior to submission to Office of Personnel Security.
- Oversees the control and handling of classified matter.
- Reviews classified visits, foreign visits and assignments, and foreign travel requests.
- Investigates, tracks and reports Federal and contractor staff security infractions.
- Ensures that escorts are trained and correctly performing their duties.
- Tracks Federal and contractor staff security training and education.
- Attends all Headquarters security-related meetings (including HSO Meetings, OPSEC Meetings, etc.).