Facility Representative Program Assessment
FUNCTIONAL AREA GOAL: TBD
- DOE O 5480.19, Conduct of Operations Requirements for
- DOE O 231.1A Chg 1, Environment, Safety and Health
- DOE M 231.1-2, Occurrence Reporting and Processing of
- DOE M 426.1-1A, Federal Technical Capability Manual
- DOE-STD-1063-2000, Facility Representatives
- DOE-STD-1151-2002, Facility Representative Functional
Area Qualification Standard
- DOE-STD-1146-2001, General Technical Base Qualification
- Memorandum from Jerald S. Paul, Principal Deputy
Administrator, NNSA, to NNSA Site Office Managers, subject:
"Promulgation of Headquarters Guidance on Facility
Representative Training and Facility Representative Staffing
Analysis," dated October 13, 2004
Performance Objective 1 - A Facility Representative
training and qualification program is established and results
in well-trained, qualified Facility Representatives.
- Formal training and qualification requirements have been
developed for the Facility Representatives.
- Management provides the resources necessary to qualify
Facility Representatives within a defined
- Training records show that Facility Representatives, who
are listed as qualified, have the proper education and
experience, and that they have completed all qualification
requirements as specified in General Technical Base
Qualification Standard (DOE-STD-1146-2001), Facility
Representative Functional Area Qualification Standard
(DOE-STD-1151-2002), and local directives.
- The examination process challenges the candidate
sufficiently to verify the proper level of knowledge of all
qualification areas and facilities and it tests the Facility
Representative's technical understanding of facility
processes, judgment and decision-making abilities, and
ability to communicate expectations to the contractor.
Responsible personnel have sufficient applicable experience
and/or training to adequately understand the facility's
operations and the safety systems under their
- The Field Element Manager designates qualifying
officials who are authorized to sign the qualification cards
after verifying the candidate possesses the appropriate
level of knowledge.
- Qualification is granted by the Field Element Manager or
- Training records show that Facility Representatives
complete all requalification requirements at the periodicity
specified in the program directive.
- An adequate continuing training program has been
established and followed.
Performance Objective 2 - The Facility Representative
Program provides adequate coverage for DOE facilities.
- A current Facility Representative staffing and coverage
analysis has been developed in accordance with
DOE-STD-1063-2000 or using the guidance provided in a
memorandum from Jerald S. Paul, Principal Deputy
Administrator, NNSA, to NNSA Site Office Managers, dated
October 13, 2004. Facility Representatives are staffed to
the level indicated in the analysis.
- Methods are developed and documented to ensure that
adequate facility coverage is maintained by qualified
Facility Representatives during periods of leave, attrition,
- Management attention is given to address Facility
Representative vacancies in a timely manner.
- Facility Representatives spend 40% of their time in the
field and 60% of their time conducting oversight activities.
Performance Objective 3 - Facility
Representatives provide effective oversight to determine that
the contractor is operating facilities in a safe
- Facility Representatives have unencumbered access to
their assigned facilities and stop work authority.
- Facility Representatives accomplish facility
assessments, surveillances, and audits as scheduled, and
they adequately document findings that are meaningful and
consistent with the facility's performance.
- Facility Representatives reviews of occurrence reports
are accomplished in a timely manner while ensuring that the
root cause has been determined and effective action
- Based on a sample of deficiencies identified by Facility
Representatives during reviews, Facility Representatives
have evaluated the overall effectiveness of the operating
contractor in implementing corrective actions.
- Facility Representatives report findings, trends, or
areas of concern (formally and informally) to the
- The Field Element Manager has implemented a process to
track identified issues or discrepancies to satisfactory
- Facility Representatives track, follow-up and close
findings from assessments, surveillances, and
- Facility Representatives have established mechanisms for
communications between DOE and the facility operating
contractor and communication is effective.
- Facility Representatives adhere to proper protocol/rules
of conduct while performing their assigned duties.
Performance Objective 4 -Management provides adequate
functional support for Facility Representatives.
- Management takes steps to ensure that the Facility
Representatives' positions are career enhancing and that the
reasons for Facility Representatives' attrition are analyzed
for improvements where necessary.
- Continuing training, professional certifications,
graduate studies, or similar development activities are
- Line management supports the actions taken by the
Facility Representatives at the respective facilities and
meets with Facility Representatives periodically through
meetings and facility walk downs to share information
related to the assigned facilities.
- Local processes exist to allow Facility Representatives
access to Field Element technical expertise regarding
- Performance indicator data is used to provide indication
of the FR program status. Trending and analysis is done on
Performance Indicator data.
- Incentive programs are in place and used effectively for
the Facility Representative position.
Performance Objective 5 - An adequate performance
assessment and feedback program is in place to assess the
effective implementation of the Facility Representative
- Line management conducts self-assessments periodically
of the Facility Representative program to ensure that the
program is continuing to be effective.
- Findings from the self-assessments are adequately
documented and addressed by management with corrective
actions developed, implemented, and verified
- Facility Representatives are informed of changes to
their facilities and their operating practices. Lessons
learned from local facility events and other DOE facilities
are sought and disseminated to Facility Representatives.
< BACK TO PREVIOUS PAGE