Subpart E-Monitoring in the Workplace
§ 835.401 General requirements.
(a) Monitoring of individuals and areas shall be performed
(1) Demonstrate compliance with the regulations in this part;
(2) Document radiological conditions in the workplace;
(3) Detect changes in radiological conditions;
(4) Detect the gradual buildup of radioactive material in
the workplace; and
(5) Verify the effectiveness of engineering and process controls
in containing radioactive material and reducing radiation exposure.
(b) Area monitoring in the workplace shall be routinely performed,
as necessary, to identify and control potential sources of personnel
exposure to radiation and/or radioactive material.
(c) Instruments used for monitoring and contamination control
(1) Periodically maintained and calibrated on an established
frequency of at least once per year;
(2) Appropriate for the type(s), levels, and energies of the
(3) Appropriate for existing environmental conditions; and
(4) Routinely tested for operability.
§ 835.402 Individual monitoring.