HSO SPOTLIGHTS APPLY ONLY TO DOE HEADQUARTERS FACILITIES
Recently, a very large quantity of CUI was found in recycling containers at the Forrestal Building. As a result of this incident, several actions are being taken. One action is to request that HSOs remind their colleagues of the need to properly handle and destroy CUI, including Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
CUI is information whose unauthorized release could cause damage to governmental, commercial, or private interests. In DOE, CUI falls into two categories:
Official Use Only (OUO) information which includes:
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Export Controlled Information (ECI)
- Proprietary Information
- Source Selection Information
- Unclassified Naval Nuclear Propulsion Information (UNNPI)
- Recommendations or options affecting policy decisions
- Security investigations
- Other information included in DOE Manual 471.3-1,
Manual for Identifying and Protecting Official Use Only Information
Unclassified Controlled Nuclear Information (UCNI) which includes:
- Design of DOE facilities that produce or use Special Nuclear Material (SNM)
- Security measures for these facilities
- Security measures for shipment of SNM
- Certain nuclear weapons-related technology
Except for UCNI, the above forms of CUI must be destroyed in one of the following ways:
- By shredding in a strip-cut shredder that produces strips no more than ¼ inch wide or any shredder approved for classified destruction, or
- By placing the material in a brown paper bag marked as "OUO" and bearing the name, organization code, room number, and phone number of the custodian. The bag can then be delivered to Room GI-007 at the Forrestal Building or Room R-002 at the Germantown Building for destruction during designated hours. Paper CUI and plastic waste CUI (CDs, diskettes, etc.) must be segregated into different burn bags and the words "plastic waste" added to the bag containing those materials.
UCNI paper waste must be destroyed in the same manner as above, except that UCNI requires the use of a cross-cut shredder that produces particles no more than ¼ inch wide by 2 inches long. The use of ¼ inch strip-cut shredders for destroying UCNI is permitted until the shredder is replaced, at which time the proper cross-cut shredder must be procured.
Strip-cut and cross-cut shredders meeting the specifications for destruction of CUI and UCNI are available at the Self Service Supply Stores in the Forrestal and Germantown Buildings.
Please remember: CUI materials, including PII, can never be placed in recycling or trash containers.
If you have additional questions on this topic, you may direct them to Mike Zimmerman or Tina Vaughen, Information Security Program, Office of Headquarters Security Operations (HS-1.312), at (301) 903-9990.